The Banks St building renovation is the culmination of the nearly ten year long campus master plan designed by Mathes Brierre and constructed by Ryan Gootee General Contractors including the Madonna Della Strada Administration addition and the Cafeteria and Bistro Renovation amongst others.
Originally built in 1926 as the residential wing of the Jesuit High School educational campus, the six story Banks St building was in major need of updates. While only the top two floors of the original six story building remained residential, the lower four floors had been taken over by the school for administration uses. After designing the new Madonna Della Strada administration building for Jesuit, their old admin space needed a new purpose and restoration.
The new Banks St renovation consisted of code upgrades, all new MEP systems, all new finishes, complete window restoration and the careful meticulous restoration of the original existing corridor walls, doors, transoms and stained woodwork.
The integration of new mechanical systems within a nearly one hundred year old building was very challenging. The design team had to come up with creative ways, often during construction, to preserve the historic character of the building while bringing the systems up to modern standards. Prior to this renovation, the building was primarily climate controlled with windows units. Not only were these window units inefficient, but they damaged some of the original wood windows.
This careful restoration allowed Jesuit to obtain state historic tax credits.
MBA Project Team: Scott Evans, Jason Weyland, Daniel Wikoff, and Kurt Rowe